How do I start charging more for my logos when I’m stuck at a low rate? What’s the difference between logos that cost 10 or 100 times more? Step one, learn the craft of designing better logos even if you are self-taught.
Want to get your logo reviewed? Submit here:
Tier 1 Designers. Here are the steps you need to take to get to Tier 2. Want to charge $1000 or more? You have to learn…
Enjoy the music? License music legally for $199/ year. Super affordable and a large selection of great music.
02:20 Learn how to see
08:35 Ben’s evolution of logo design
13:55 Budget: Minimum Level of Engagement
16:07 Referring work that you cannot do to others in your network
19:00 The difference between $300 logo and a $3000 logo?
25:11 Q: Should we design all logos to a square ratio?
29:10 Self taught versus formal training
30:20 Logo Critique – Sabay Sabay Street
35:00 Logo Critique – Prize Forums
42:30 Logo Critique – Whey Monster
44:00 Drawing Letterforms
46:50 Design Master Course – Lettering 1 – Nils Lindstrom
54:04 Classic Typefaces List
54:51 The Golden Ratio
59:00 About the Blind logo
1:03:40 Proportions, scale & harmony in logos
1:14:14 Zoom Video Conferencing
1:19:07 How do you get notified of calls, topics and events?
1:21:45 Yoonji – TheHub – Logo Critique
1:33:20 Ahmed – Take Teddy – Logo Critique
1:49:00 Resource – @logoInspirations – Jonathan Rudolph
1:54:20 Logo Inspirations Video Preview
1:57:49 Resource – @logolearn & George Bokhua
1:59:37 Spartan – Logo Design Challenge
Great Typography Book
Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works – Erik Spiekermann – http://amzn.to/2pvpSVx
Designers featured on this episode:
1:54:38 Logo drawing demonstration by Logo Inspirations. Video:
Ben Burns hot tips that we didn’t cover on the show:
1. Get off aggregator sites. Period. It’s tough. It’s scary but you have to do it. Work will come when you start creating space to look for it.
2. Know what you’re worth. Research standard pricing practices in your area. AIGA is a good resource to start.
3. Find/Get permission to charge what you need to charge. Find a mentor who can validate that your work is good enough.
Chris Do hot tips:
1. Maste your craft. Nothing against being self taught, but don’t forget the teaching part. Read books, watch videos, take courses that fit your style of learning.
2. It takes many hours of “educated” practice. So get cracking. Every amateur can crack open a drawing program or pick up a brush and call themselves a logo designer. There’s a big gap. Practice is the way to get there.
Spartan Logo Design Challenge details:
This is a cross channel event with 2 amazing people:
Get the typography manual here: 📕
Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works, Third Edition 📕
Listen to the Futur podcast on iTunes: 🎙
HOW TO SUPPORT THE FUTUR:
Purchase a Kit:https://www.thefutur.com/shop/
subscribe to the secret and private Master mind group on FB with bi-weekly webinars & exclusive videos not released anywhere else.
Music on the show from Art-list.io
Use our Amazon Affiliate Link:
Buy useful design tools from Creative Market:
Connect with us online: 🔔
Tweets by thefuturishere
Need brand strategy help?
Visit Blind LA’s WEBSITE: http://blind.com
Connect with Chris Do:
Executive Producer– Chris Do
Host– Chris Do
Director– Aaron Szekely
Cinematography– Aaron Szekely
Editor– Aaron Szekely, Mark Contreras, Jon Pham, Stewart Schuster
Show Open– Roy Kang
Futur Theme Music – Adam Sanborne www.adamsanborne.com
Social Media Manager – Cheryl Stevens
Annotations– Isaiah Nwukor
SEO— Jacob Campbell
Typefaces: Futura, Din
Futur theme song— Adam Sanborne