My annual goal setting practice wasn’t working, so I replaced it with just four simple questions. Inspired by Milton Glaser’s academic exercise of imaging one’s ideal day I’ve replaced my yearly goal setting practice with an intentional focus on habits and skills. Repeated daily practice over the course of a year optimizes for happiness and consistent results rather than vanity metrics and perfection. Replacing a long list of goals frees me to do one thing well, rather than dividing my attention amongst many and doing each of those poorly.
The four questions I’m asking are:
1 – What do I default to doing (what makes me most happy)?
2 – What feels like “work” (what makes me unhappy)?
3 – How can I do more of what makes me happy and less of what doesn’t (what systems can I put in place to help me)?
4 – How can I put myself in a position to fail more?
This is all an experiment. But it’s a necessary pivot for me as I search for a more effective way to achieve the things I want to over time. I still have goals and ambitions, but it’s crucial that as I strive to achieve things, the journey must satisfy my definition of success: freedom, purpose and relationships. A goal reached without also fulfilling these metrics – in my eyes – is meaningless.
Tell me in the comments, what do you do? Do you set annual personal and business goals for yourself?
**A special thanks to all of YOU for helping the channel cross the 100K subs mark. This channel has contributed vastly to my own creative growth and ambition in 2017 and I’m humbled by your support.
// GEAR I USE //
*Mavic Pro by DJI: http://amzn.to/2hW3dTA
* Canon 6DMKII http://thirtybyforty.com/6dmkii
* Canon 80D: http://amzn.to/2fBWGMQ
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Canon 10 – 18mm f4.5 – 5.6 IS Lens: http://amzn.to/2vyErvS
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
MUSIC I USE:
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”