All creatives share similar struggles; in this video I discuss the challenges I’ve faced as an architect and the strategies I use to overcome them. Viewed through the lens of a project currently in design, this is a short musing on the importance of making things, on scheduling creativity and why cultivating uncertainty is so vitally important to your success (and happiness).
Anyone who relies on creativity to support themselves has fears: about the blank page, of being able to summon fresh ideas…of doing something interesting…something unexpected. I worry about the critics…whether that’s other professionals, my client’s, my parents…you – my audience. Of course I’m challenged by all the practical things too…of supporting my family, the worry of finding new projects, of meeting expectations, and of living up to my own artistic goals.
I have a very simple strategy for handling these struggles. If you want to learn more about my process for making, check this page on my website for my precise formula: http://thirtybyforty.com/architects-schedule-for-making
Thanks for watching, I do hope you enjoyed this short interlude; it was a real creative reflection for me; I had fun making it. Please share it with someone who needs to hear the message.
/ GEAR I USE //
Favorite Pencil (NEW):
*Kuru Toga by UNI: http://amzn.to/2j5xgJM
*Mavic Pro by DJI: http://amzn.to/2hW3dTA
* Canon 80D: http://amzn.to/2fBWGMQ
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Canon 10 – 18mm f4.5 – 5.6 IS Lens: http://amzn.to/2vyErvS
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
MUSIC I USE:
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”