The estimates are in and one of our projects is over our client’s target budget. Learn how architects typically address these problems as I explain the most effective, common sense strategies I’ve found to control escalating construction costs. Not surprisingly, these tips are most effective when used BEFORE the project ever begins (which is where we are).
Many – erroneously – think that choosing less expensive materials is the best place to begin when seeking big savings on an architectural or building project that’s over budget. In this video, you’ll learn why that’s a flawed approach and why the real savings are in the square footage of the structure.
I also discuss why cutting corners can actually be a good thing when you’re looking to save money, how to manage and control the flow of information, and why you need to be having difficult conversations about project financials with your clients at your first opportunity rather than waiting until all the drawings are complete and you’re ready to begin construction.
Tell me in the comments, what are your strategies when the estimate comes back higher than you’d hoped?
// GEAR I USE //
*Mavic Pro by DJI: http://amzn.to/2hW3dTA
* Canon 6DMKII http://thirtybyforty.com/6dmkii
* Canon 80D: http://amzn.to/2fBWGMQ
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Canon 10 – 18mm f4.5 – 5.6 IS Lens: http://amzn.to/2vyErvS
* Canon 24-70mm f2.8L Lens: http://amzn.to/2DMt0Y5
MUSIC I USE:
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
* Copic Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/copic-sketch
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
CAD DRAWING TEMPLATE:
* Download here: http://thirtybyforty.com/autocad-template
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”