If you’re making an architectural portfolio, or yours needs a refresh, this is your how-to guide. We’ll review the key differences between paper and digital portfolios, and you’ll learn why the best portfolio is the one you’re able to keep updated with fresh content.
I recommend you craft your portfolio as an integral part of a broader web-based promotion strategy. Your portfolio should – if possible – be available (and searchable) on your own, self-hosted website.
Digital portfolio options:
– App-based – on a tablet for example (Morpholio, Portfolio, etc.)
– PDF – a document you can print or share
– Web platform – hosted on someone else’s platform (Behance, Issu, Coroflot, Houzz)
– Website (self-hosted) – you own the domain, you control the online real estate.
The only option I recommend today is the self-hosted website portfolio. I recommend using Squarespace to get started if you don’t have one already. Their templates are modern, minimal, and you’ll spend time on filling it with great work rather than fussing over the layout – the container.
I recommend you take cues from the portfolios of other architects you’d like to work for or whose work you’d like to emulate. Study how they’re compiling their portfolios. Learn from them.
What to include:
2) Academic vs. Built work
What Not to Include:
1) Work you didn’t design
2) Old work
3) Lengthy text
4) Spelling errors
5) Poor photography
6) Construction documents
7) Irrelevant work experience
I also discuss the best way to share your portfolio via email and let you in on an opportunity to have your portfolio reviewed by me on the channel (hint: you have to be a subscriber).
// GEAR I USE //
* Canon 70D: http://amzn.to/29klz7k
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”