In this video I answer a viewer’s question and describe the 5-step framework I use when making difficult decisions. Marcel from Wisconsin asks whether he should continue on with graduate school or get started building his design-build architecture business.
My framework for making difficult decisions consists of 5 essential questions. They are:
1 – Which choice best supports my definition of success?
2 – Which route provides the most optionality?
3 – Does choosing one option preclude exercising the other or others at a later date? (Linear progression – i.e. licensure or a parallel one – i.e. business)
4 – What is the opportunity cost? What do I give up by selecting one route over the other?
5 – Is this actually a false choice? Can I do both?
Although I initially dodged the question, I offer my honest opinion beginning at the 7:30 mark. What do you think, do you agree? Disagree? Let’s help Marcel out by sharing your thoughts in the comments.
Have a question you’d like featured here? Send a short video to: [email protected] and I’ll add it to the queue.
// GEAR I USE //
* Canon 70D: http://amzn.to/29klz7k
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”