A sincere thank you for helping to push our channel past the 100K subscriber milestone. I just received the Silver Play Button award at the studio (!) and wanted to take a minute to unbox it and offer you a personal note of thanks. Without all of you, none of this would be possible. Sort of funny that the week it arrived on my doorstep the channel crossed the 186K(!!) subscriber mark.
I’m so humbled by the support and kindness you’ve shown as I’ve worked over the past five years to make better things, more interesting content, and exponentially increase the number of people I’m able to reach + connect with.
I never thought I’d get this award, it’s certainly not something I set out to achieve. To think that 100,000 people thought enough about what I had to say to subscribe is just a completely silly notion (especially when I look back at some of the things I’ve made in the past). In the beginning, I focused on sharing knowledge and documenting what I was creating. As time went on, I started to have higher expectations of my work; I became interested in filmmaking, composition, color grading, audio, and storytelling. I think I make a lot better things than I used to, but I’m nowhere near as good as my heroes or as I want to be. And, I know when I look back on this in another year’s time I’ll see what I made today wasn’t that great either.
However, without a body of work to look back on, I’d have no context to see the journey. It’s important to remember that we can’t possibly make our best work the first time we publish something, it takes practice, discipline and the knowledge that most of what we make won’t live up to our own high standards. In time we get better. This is my 196th video that I’ve upload to YouTube…that’s a lot of practice!
I hope this inspires you to take action and to make things. See my path and take comfort in the fact that I just press ‘publish’ – even when I wasn’t capable of executing at my own high standards. Pressing publish is the only way to improve. There are no more gatekeepers, if you have access to the internet and a smartphone you too can speak to millions of people if you choose. (We have over 7.6 million views on the channel as of today).
Thank you, thank you, thank you, for allowing this kind of life to be possible and for being such an important part of my story here on YouTube. We’ll see you again next time, cheers my friends…!
// GEAR I USE //
*Mavic Pro by DJI: http://amzn.to/2hW3dTA
* Canon 6DMKII http://thirtybyforty.com/6dmkii
* Canon 80D: http://amzn.to/2fBWGMQ
* Canon 24mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29l7ac5
* Canon 40mm f2.8 Lens: http://amzn.to/29x2QcI
* Canon 10 – 18mm f4.5 – 5.6 IS Lens: http://amzn.to/2vyErvS
* Canon 24-70mm f2.8L Lens: http://amzn.to/2DMt0Y5
MUSIC I USE:
* Rode VideoMic Pro (hotshoe mtd.): http://amzn.to/29qlNM3
* ATR-2100 USB (dynamic mic): http://amzn.to/2dFDaKp
* Copic Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/copic-sketch
* Prismacolor Markers: http://thirtybyforty.com/markers
* Timelapse Camera: http://thirtybyforty.com/brinno
* AutoCAD LT: http://amzn.to/2dxjMDH
* SketchUp PRO: http://amzn.to/2cRcojz
* HP T120 Plotter: http://amzn.to/2dBGf1O
* Adobe CC Photography (Photoshop/Lightroom) Plan: http://amzn.to/2dhq5ap
CAD DRAWING TEMPLATE:
* Download here: http://thirtybyforty.com/autocad-template
* Architect + Entrepreneur Startup Toolkit: http://thirtybyforty.com/SPL
Please watch: “Inside My Sketchbook + An Architect’s Sketching Tools”